Saturday, March 1, 2008

in celebration {dread?} of summer.



I've been cooking a little more often lately. Thank you, Fresh & Easy, for being so...fresh and easy. I told Adell I'd post this recipe for her, but really - I think everyone should have it. For some reason I think this is the greatest pasta salad ever, and trust me, I'm not usually one to love pasta salads {especially when they appear to be covered in mayo...sick}.

Looks like the unbearable summer heat is coming - I'm wearing shorts today - and I think this is a perfect, light dish suitable for warm weather. Must be the lemons. It takes a while to prepare, but it's totally worth it. Enjoy.


INGREDIENTS
16 ounces cheese-filled tortellini
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 small red onion, julienned
½ cup sliced black olives
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 boneless chicken breast half, cooked and sliced into thin strips

DRESSING
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons minced lemon zest
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons ground walnuts
1 tablespoon honey

DIRECTIONS

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and cool under cold water. Refrigerate until chilled.

Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, walnuts, and honey. Refrigerate until chilled.

In a salad bowl, combine pasta, peppers, red onion, olives, and chicken. Add lemon dressing and feta cheese, toss and serve.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE Fresh and Easy. We have one right by us and it's so awesome. They have this dark chocolate gelato..oh baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot to put "Enjoy." it's one of the best pasta salads i've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! i can't wait to try it! i need to make another stop at fresh and easy! i love that place! i bought veggies there and they lasted longer than any other veggies i've ever purchased!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really should start making my own lemon chicken tortellini. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete