Tuesday, May 20, 2008

hideaway.


goodbye...


me + blake

Saturday night was the last day that Hunt's Hideaway was open. This was a semi-big deal for me. I worked at Hunt's for about 4.5 years {which, if you're wondering, is almost 20% of my life}. For most of my time there, I was a waitress.

I loved being a waitress. The majority of our customers were elderly {senior citizens? old fogeys? whatever you prefer} which made for some great stories. There were the really sweet people - like Enid, who would give me a huge toothless grin every time I walked by. There were a few mean ones who made my ultra-sensitive teenage self break down in tears. There were some funny ones. And then there were one or two perverted ones - like the guy that asked me to sit on his lap or the one who asked if he could guess the size of my chest. Despite the occasional crazies, I loved the customers... and we all loved the food {I especially loved the chicken philly}.

Even better than the food and the customers and the wads of cash I'd get in tips were the people I worked for and with. The Nikolaus family, who owned it & ran the place, became my really good friends. Over the years, I learned a lot from them about caring, serving, giving & loving. I also met a lot of wonderful people who worked there with me. I can easily say that working at Hunt's changed my life and I was really sad to see it go.

Good news: I'm in the process of helping Judy make a cookbook of all the Hunt family recipes - so atleast I'll never have to spend a Thanksgiving without the amazing Nutty Crumby Pie.

4 comments:

  1. you are awesome!
    thanks for the post! wasn't sat night at hunt's hideaway the best way to say farewell to your first job? Ü (even with all of the mentioned "old-farts" that patronized the place!)
    i'm glad you guys were there with all of us and that you, clint, kelly, & i could share in one last bite of the chicken philly sandwich together!

    good-bye Hunt's Hideaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never even heard of it--must've been a mountain view thing...? At any rate, now I feel I've missed out on something terrible, and I will never be able to fill the void, on account of Hunt's Hideaway being closed forever.

    Great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sadness! i will always remember you taking me there, and how cool it was that you had a job! i miss you, and am deeply sadend by the fact that years go by everytime i see you! come to cali and see me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so angela like everyone of my cousins have a link to your blog.


    how do you know us all?

    ReplyDelete