Sunday, August 31, 2008

you'll be in the air.



Saturday, August 30, 2008, was a monumental day in the Hardison home. I didn't think I would be so sentimental about giving up the ol' '98 Honda Accord, but I was and I am, and I figured it deserves a tribute.

Now lest you be thinking "oh please, it was just a car"... let me explain why it was not just a car. Atticus (as named by the Hardison brothers for reasons unknown to me - I can only guess that 1. they must have been listening to a lot of Blink182, which Clint is bound to deny or 2. it was named after dear Atticus Finch) has been through a lot of momentous times with the husband and me. You see, it has been there since the beginning.

He's had the car since we first met in 10th grade. It's the car I associated with the intriguing high-school Clint, and the car with the license plate I would come to memorize and look for on the streets of Mesa. It's the car he picked me up in on our first official hang-out and the car with a radio that introduced me to The Microphones and Pavement and Blonde Redhead.

We had our first kiss standing next to that car, and years later we were driving in it to the spot where I knew he was going to propose. We drove home from the temple in that car right after our wedding. (As we were cleaning it out last night to hand over to the dealership, we found a handful of bobby pins that were taken out of my hair after our wedding reception.)

The poor thing was getting old, and worn with 188,000 miles of memories, but it was just so... comfortable. We'll miss it. Which is probably why we decided to replace it with another Honda Accord that's pretty much exactly the same - just newer (and without Clint's beloved leather seats).

And so it goes; we move on.

17 comments:

  1. I officially deny any allegations that I am or ever was a fan of Blink 182. The champagne/grey color of my Accord reminded me of old people, so I named the car after the best old person I've ever known - Atticus, the wise and aged father figure in Harper Lee's epic novel To Kill A Mockingbird.

    Proof: the car was acquired in the year 2000, a full-two years before some awful punk rock clothing band ripped off his name. I know you know this to be the truth, so why the smear campaign?

    Now dear blog reader, you must ask yourself a question. Do you really want to read the blog of a blogger who so intentionally and knowingly distorts the facts? Frankly, I think you're smarter than that. At my blog, you'll encounter the intellectual honesty that you expect, and dare I say, deserve.

    I'm Clint Hardison and I approve this comment.

    This comment was paid for by the committee to encourage the reading of Clint's blog instead of Angela's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for a FACT that Clint has attended a Blink 182 concert. I want to say it was in '99 or 2000 because I think we were still at Stapley at the time. I know this because I was lamenting the fact that I wasn't able to go and he told me about it because he had gone.

    At least I can admit to having iffy taste in music.

    (and I'm going to stick with Angela. She's prettier. And her blog has pictures.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clint told me he used to listen to copious amounts of Blink 182. But I did not have the foresight to record this conversation for future use and now he will vehemently deny ever having said that. Fortunately, I have remedied this and now I record 100% of my conversations with Clint. It’s a good idea if you think about it.


    YAY, new car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am dying laughing right now. Angela I can't believe you would start a smear campaign against your own husband. Hahaha. Anyway sad to hear about your car... I'm sure it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for a new car. I totally memorize peopel's license plate numbers. I thought I was psycho, now I know I'm in good company. My wedding bobby pins are all still in Jason's car too. Normally I'd clean them out, but we'll just see how long they stay in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the bit about the bobby pins almost made me cry!

    Kyle sold his jetta after he got a work truck, and I was surprisingly sentimental, too. Even though we didn't have YEARS of history like you and clintclintclintclint, our first 'I Love Yous' were said in there. But then I told him that he bought it with the ex-girlfriend by his side, and I felt much better about it. I really don't like her. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok...the bobby pins part...oh so cute.
    the looking for his licence plate # on the streets...oh so delightful...made me smile.
    and as for the aforementioned "smear campaign" i say...the truth hurts, clint!

    VOTE 4 ANGELA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. farewell. it is always a bittersweet day to get a new car and say goodbye to an old one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela, I must say your husband Clint is so funny. AND I think you are totally funny too! You both crack me up and I love it! I LOVE good humor. :) Next time, we're in AZ, we'll have to get together!!! You guys can tell me some jokes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am so glad I stumbled upon your and clint's blog... I miss old friends and love to hear how people are doing and what they are up to. your blog is darling. - Liz (Massey)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have to update this post with the news of yesterday. Poor, poor Clint. He can't catch a break. Anyhow, just wanted to tell you how wonderful your blog is. You make me look bad, real bad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh a honda accord. i too, have had an honda accord since my 16th birthday. (too bad mine is a 92' and not looking to upgrade anytime soon.) aren't they the best cars?

    ReplyDelete
  14. i totally cried when i got rid of my first car. i had no idea it would be so sentimental!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to hear that other people get so attached to things like that! Even leaving our crappy, old apartment I still thought "So much happened here." When I was a kid, I cried we my mom got a new couch...

    ReplyDelete
  16. And if you find such a friend, you feel happy and complete, because you need not worry Cheap Diablo iii Gold, Diablo iii Gold Sale your forever friend holds your hand and tells you that everything is going to be okay Diablo 3 Gold.

    ReplyDelete
  17. buy c9 gold you laugh at me for being different, but I laugh at you for being the same, the past is gone and static. Nothing we can do will change it. The future is before us and dynamic. Everything we do will affect it cheap c9 gold, don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first c9 money.

    ReplyDelete