Tuesday, November 18, 2008

when your soul embarks.

I went to Utah for five days. I had a lovely time (despite missing my husband terribly), and here are lots of pictures to prove it.

______________________________________________________
part 1: 'welcome', or 'my awesome sister rachel'







My sister let us (me, Anna & Clara, then later Ryan) stay in her beautiful home. Let me tell you about Rachel. She's my second oldest sibling, wife to a hilarious husband, mother to 4 darling children (see below), piano teacher, graphic designer, marathon runner, and homemaker extraordinaire (herb garden in windowsill? check. homemade bread? check. salsa made from her own garden? yep, that too.). I got tired just watching her take care of everything. And at the end of the day, she still has energy for dancing in the kitchen with her kids. She's amazing, and I loved hanging out with her.


CaseyAnne & Micah


Emma & Lucas


______________________________________________________
part 2: food, sisters, & an abundance of cute things





My sisters (aren't they beautiful?) and I ate at Pizzeria 712. Yum. Do everything you can to eat there at least once in your life.





One of my travel partners, Clara Jane. Little pigtails, silly faces, incoherent conversations... and yes she's still the cutest thing even after the projectile vomiting incident (just seconds after our meal was served).

______________________________________________________
part 3: nature, sunspots, & chilly weather









Put me somewhere, anywhere, that it's okay to wear stockings and scarves - and I'm a happy girl. Gorgeous scenery and snow-covered mountains don't hurt either.

______________________________________________________
part 4: downtown SLC





We had lunch at the Beehive Tea Room - great atmosphere, yummy food - then walked around Temple Square and did a little shopping.










______________________________________________________
part 5: the reason for coming




obviously, I was excited to be there





The main reason for this trip: a two-hour visit to my younger brother Steven in rehab. He has long been one of my favorite people to hug, and last night was no exception. He's gained thirty pounds (physically) and an immeasurable amount of strength (emotionally). This road to recovery is incredible, beautiful, painful but hopeful, and an answer to years of prayers - which probably explains all those smiles on our faces.

______________________________________________________
part 6: love

Here, there, and everywhere.

17 comments:

  1. angela, i just love your family. the melzers have always inspired me in so many ways. you guys always have so much unity and love for one another. you're all just all- around wonderful people. what a wonderful trip. I love your sister's kitchen with all the fruit? jars. LOVE IT. Also, I've always forgotten to say how cool I think it is that you play records and dance. :) very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where on earth do I start? Angela, you have an incredible talent. You should print out your blog, bind it, sell it and watch it climb to the best seller! Your photography inspires and your writing captivates! I can't get enough! Clint's thoughts on children were so hilarious, I mean, seriously you two are quite the pair! You are one of the most beautiful and talented females I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I love you... other times I don't. Now, I don't.

    You always have to take better pictures then me, wear cuter clothes and express your feelings so much better than me. Wah wah wah. Okay, I love you again. :) I just get jealous.

    When's our next trip? Maybe next time we could invite the husbands so they can carry our luggage for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to top my insecurities off, I use 'then' instead of 'than'.

    I'm awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad you're wearing the scarves from me in your pictures :) so glad i can give you something to wear that you like (considering what you wear reflects your personality, you and is YOU, not a general sense)

    and so glad you got to see steven. your family was always so fun to be a part of, especially for those sunday dinners after church. and your sparkly ceilings :)

    anna, i love you! i really want to see your little girl, have angela arrange it and i'll be sure to bring one of my beanies with me for clara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great post angela. love the pictures, love the scarfs, love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a wonderful time! Hope your brother continues to get stronger each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so lovely, i love your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely pictures, lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steven looks so healthy. You guys look great in your warm weather gear. Missed you and glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is definitely my favorite post of all your posts! i love everything about it! your unique style...your fabulous eye for art and all things beautiful. your great photog skills. and your knack for putting it all together :) glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. •love the pics
    •absolutely love that kitchen with the mason jars in the cupboards
    •& i adored seeing steven. tell him hi for me.

    glad you had a great time. (i really miss SLC...great city, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous post. you are so inspiring and have such a loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love all the canning in the kitchen pic. open cupboards are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is really lisa! :) you have a beautiful family! thats so great that you guys got to go and see steven! yay for steven!!! he's such a cool kid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's fun to have a sister like you. You even make me like myself. It was so fun to have you hear, like a deep yoga breath. You know what I mean. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angela, your blog is so cute! I love it.

    ReplyDelete