Saturday, December 6, 2008

terrible/perfect.



A couple months ago, Clint pointed out something to me that's had me thinking. Apparently, "perfect" is my word of choice for anything and everything that I see as being good or great or fantastic. Either something is perfect or it's not. And when it's not perfect, it's usually terrible. On a scale of 1 to 10, 7 and above are typically considered perfect. 6 and below? No good.

(Maybe that's why I love black and white so much?)

I think I've been this way for a long time; I'm a type 1, a perfectionist at heart. You should see my penmanship from 5th grade! You should see the beauty of my old color-coordinated and illustrated Biology notes from 9th grade! I'm good at most things I do... because I generally stay away from anything I think I might not be good at. Sad but true. Though to be quite honest, I'm happy with being a perfectionist -- even if I occasionally would enjoy throwing a punch or two at my inner critic.

At any rate, it can be a hard way to live (for me, and probably for everyone around me since I'm sometimes hard to satisfy). I'm working on it. And I might even be working on it forever until I get it perfect.

Anyway, my point is this: look at that rad old bathroom scale I thrifted yesterday. It will look perfect in our black/white/yellow/grey bedroom. Seriously.

14 comments:

  1. Hear ye, hear ye. Here's the funny thing, I'm like you, but I couldn't handle design for that reason. If someone said something I did was less than perfect, I would have no way, besides my own assertion, to disagree. However, with numbers, I can prove a perfect point. :)

    PS My Biology notes were confiscated by my teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say: I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Angela! Thanks for the congratulations. We are sooo excited, which I sometimes forget since I have been SUPER sick. yuck. It will be worth it though right? I loved your post because sometimes I feel the same way. I totally remember your handwriting in grade school. Sooo perfect, and it made me feel like mine was not good enough. :) I would try to make mine look like yours and Shantel's was always good too. Ahhhh... if we could just see ahead and get a better picture of what will really matter in life. One thing that has helped me not worry about everything being perfect is the pregnancy making me sick as a dog. You just can't even function so you kind of give up. ha. Maybe that would be your cure? j/k Well, take care. It is always fun to check out your blog. You are so creative. And of course you inspire me to be better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that scale. And the most perfect part of your post was the word "rad". It's one of my goals for 2009: Bring the word "rad" back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's excellent. I am farther from a perfectionist than I should admit---it will probably make you hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect scale, perfect post. made me laugh.

    i over-use the word 'love'. if i 'like' something, brad thinks i hate it. i need to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd rather be a perfectionist then careless. haha I too am a little guilty, but hey thats why people come to you expecting their letter pressed project to be perfect! It's a hard job, but somebody's gotta do it right?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is perfect.
    so is yellow and gray, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the scale! I need to learn where the awesome thrift shops are in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect, is a perfectly suitable word for that thrifted treasure!! now i would like to see your bedroom! please?

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the scale.

    it's perfectly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I felt a bit odd when I was a child and used to go home and rewrite my notes from class.. I hated when a teacher would add in a thought and mess up my organized note taking, so I'd have to go home and rewrite them.. in all caps.

    It wasn't until I started taking design classes at college and realized that I wasn't a freak.. just a designer! (and everyone in my class had a similar story from when they were young..)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We totally had that bathroom scale growing up! Now I wish I still had it :)

    ReplyDelete