Wednesday, February 11, 2009

wrapped up in books.

I finally joined a book club with some of my friends. Now there's a little more obligation to complete my goal of reading at least one book a month. I recently finished I Am The Messenger. These were some of my favorites lines from the book:

Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.

To be honest, I'm really sick of hearing about the economy. We feel very blessed to not have been affected by it (except for the fact that we paid way more for our house than it's worth right now) and we pray for those who have been hit. But I think if I continued watching the news or listening to NPR during my commute, I'd be depressed.

So, I'll stick to my books - and their beautiful words.


  1. I can't listen to NPR anymore. You can only say, "The economy is bad" so many different ways and they've hit on all of them and are recycling old ones. It's depressing and boring at the same time.

    I love books. Wonderful wonderful books.

  2. I noticed that I've been turning off NPR more and more lately. We know the economy is bad, but a nation full of depressed people isn't going to help at all.

    That is such a beautiful passage you shared. Books are wonderful. They will always be my true love and passion. They never let you down.

    (Just had to de-lurk to say that!)

  3. By biggest sorrow in life is that right now I only have time to read textbooks and assigned novels. And poetry--GAR. I'll have to live through you this semester---please do keep us posted on the good ones you come across! I'll file them away for summer...

  4. good job :) thats what i do! but i really escape the reading harry potter or narnia.

    i'm making jenna's book for her wedding this weekend. and i'll be home on the 12th. i'll be happy to see you at her reception!!

  5. I agree, it is depressing. I think I'll keep living in my dream world until it gets better! I've looked at your blog before but did not realize it was you until now. Duh. It was fun to meet you at book club. I love your seesaw designs blog!!

  6. oh yea! i am so glad you are using your beautiful book mark! Wait, there are problems with the Economy?

  7. we too have been blessed as the economy has been going down. that exert is quite lovely too. I sure do love a good book. As for the wallpaper, it was much easier than I expected and a lot harder than hubby expected. i did the easy change so it made it an easier commitment.

  8. Hey, Angela. I made a short post on your behalf, in response to your weariness of NPR's focus on the economy. Hopefully it will cheer you up and make you feel better about things. There is a little ranting, but I think they are valid points. I also feel blessed that Alex and I have not been affected too much by the economy. I know there are many who have.

    A book club sounds fun. I get all my personal, recreational reading done in the summer because I have far too much to read already in school. Let me know if you would strongly recommend anything from your book club so Alex and I can check them out.


  9. well, as you know our lives have been turned upside down by the bad economy, but i don't need someone else telling me about it all day.

    reading is still my favorite escape. preferably in a hot bath! and is everything you own yellow? my goodness. even the plate in the background.

  10. Oooh, I like those lines.

    Is that why you don't come to my house for dinner anymore? Because it's just a pathetic physical reminder of our awesome economy? :)

    Thanks again for the coolest business cards ever. I climb another notch up the "cool ladder" with everyone I hand out.

  11. Love the pic. And books are a perfect escape any time.

  12. good idea. i think i will try to do more of that as well.

  13. You are so right. Honestly, the more we focus on our blessings, the happier we will be no matter what our trials. You are inspiring girly. :)

  14. love the quote. simple beauty - in words, people and life in general - is my favorite.

    i too am soooo tired of the economy. gah. enough doom and gloom. its ipod in the car and nothing else. you should join goodreads, it's a great way to find recommendations and ideas from friends.

  15. Books give us that wonderous escape we need from reality at times. (Hugs)Indigo