Thursday, August 20, 2009

avocado, or alligator-pear.





This Emily Post cookbook from 1951 is one of my favorite finds ever. The design, typography, and illustrations are amazing; the entire thing is letterpressed; the recipes are simple; and all the content is so entertaining and filled with tips for "proper" etiquette and manners. I could probably read this cover-to-cover and enjoy every minute.

One of my favorite lines (there are many) might be, "If when fishing you should catch an eel, don't throw it away." Good to know.

------------------------------------------------------

It will be so nice someday to be home to cook dinner every night. And you better believe I'm going to use this book.

12 comments:

  1. I too loved the design and typography of the book. Thanks for the pics and the small note, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible find! It's design and graphics totally makes it look like it could be a modern cookbook, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely remember that the next time I go fishing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the design and typography of this too. I think the little well placed illustrations are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you how many times I have caught an eel while fishing. And to think I've been discarding them all this time. Will you send the eel recipe my way when you get the chance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's like that cook book was made just for you!

    i just saw julie & julia (highly recommended) and now i'm so excited to cook delicious dinners every night for my hubby and i when i'm a stay-at-home mom. i want my kitchen lined with cook books by the dozens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love emily post...that book is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. That book is from 1951? Wow.. great find and great design indeed. I wish that I LOVED cooking.. hmm.. maybe someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah! i recognize that. im glad you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whole thing is letterpressed? Or just the pictures?

    Make me some eel, please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh... I'd love to have a copy! And that eel line is funny – sounds like some old piece of wisdom about life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wowzer, the entire thing is letterpress! i have to find a copy.

    ReplyDelete