Sunday, November 15, 2009

if nothing ventured, nothing earned.



As I was preparing my lesson for church this week (I teach the 14-15 year old girls nearly every Sunday), I read through this talk about self-worth and the following words particularly stood out to me:

"Optimism is a virtue that allows us to see God's loving hand in the details of our life... Find joy each day."

I'll give you one guess why I needed to hear that. Yep, I'm a pessimist too often. My analytical and sometimes over-critical nature causes me to see problems with everything.
But I am also really good at finding happiness in the little things. So I'm starting with that and here's the plan: use the joy I find each day to help me on my quest to become an optimist.

Some of the joy from my weekend included lying on our bedroom floor with windows open and sunlight shining in, spending a few quiet moments with just my thoughts, holding some adorable babies, dinner with friends at parlor, and running to good music.

16 comments:

  1. i bet you found joy in matching the color of the word joy exactly to your sweater, didn't you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for linking to that talk. I needed that.

    Some happy things from my weekend:
    Cuddling my tiny niece, a clean house, the chocolate cupcakes (of course) and seeing pictures I haven't seen for a while of a trip I took nearly 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooohhh those sound like joyful things to do! How lovely! Have you read the rockstar diaries little section on peoples lists of things that make them happy. that is such a good read and source of inspiration for happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice Angela! I was an optimist my whole life, until I started law school - ha! I'm trying to work on focusing on the positive things. I absolutely love your blog, thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a good heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how it's such a simple concept, yet often comes so unnaturally. I know I need to find more joy in my days. Thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i give parlour's salad and pizza each a good solid "a". i can't stop thinking about that salad.

    i also try to stop throughout my day to think of the little things i'm grateful for, or to remember the best parts of my day that turned out the way i wanted. this post is a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a great quote.. it will probably end up on my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. optimism is overrated and here's why: pessimism and dark sarcasm is so funny.

    that said, i think a natural pessimist can definitely learn to be an optimist. we just need reminders all the time.

    love ya =).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that quote from Conference. I think I have it written down...somewhere. I too am such a pessimist. Thanks for reminding to find joy in simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really needed this today.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you know what's funny? i've totally taken you for a great optimist living a perpetually fantastic life, which led me to: 1. i'm glad that this site can be a place of optimism and beauty for you (because it certainly is), and 2. it helps with the self-doubt that comes from reading blogs and picturing everyone having a prettier life than me. sheesh, it's so easy to lose perspective. so thanks for writing this and sharing that talk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I teach the MiaMaids, too! I love it. I bet they love your lessons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use to be such a pessemist myself but over the years, as I've gotten older, I've become much more optimistic. I don't know how or why but I'm happy it's happened and continuing to happen. I do have down days but I seem to get over life's little disappointments much faster than before.

    Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the little things in life each day.

    ReplyDelete