Monday, December 28, 2009

and there you go.







I was pleasantly surprised with Pittsburgh. We loved getting to explore the place where Clint served on a mission for two years. Favorites included the Warhol museum, Hogwarts (aka the Cathedral of Learning where we took a rickety elevator up 40 floors and I got dizzy), all the bridges, incredible architecture, and amazing houses everywhere.




For the four nights we were in Pittsburgh, we stayed at this gorgeous English Manor bed & breakfast, and every morning the chef cooked us some amazing French toast and omelets. (The mansion originally belonged to a family in the printing press business; that and the fireplace in our bedroom made me extra happy.)








We spent a couple days in Erie to see Conor. I've heard about the guy for years and was thrilled to finally meet him. Clint baptized Conor while on his mission, and now he is heading on a mission to Brazil. It was so great to spend time with him, Jared & Sonya (other converts he baptized). We went up to Palmyra to visit a few Church history sites and go through the temple with Conor. What a beautiful, peaceful place... even though it was 5 degrees outside and I was wearing a skirt.









Niagara Falls was awesome. And freezing. I thought my toes were going to fall off, but they didn't.







The wintry beach at Lake Erie was lovely.





We woke up to a thick blanket of snow towards the end of our Pittsburgh stay. It was really pretty, but our hotel was at the top of a steep hill and we couldn't drive up or down because of the ice. The roads were pretty bad everywhere, and we had to cancel our trip to Fallingwater. (For about twelve years I've wanted to go there, and it's what I was looking forward to most. Maybe I shed a couple tears, okay?)

Despite that and the fact that my fingers were usually way too cold to take good photos, it was a successful trip. I'm looking forward to going back someday in the fall to see all the trees and leaves changing colors.

31 comments:

  1. you took amazing pictures!! how did you like the snow?? it's something to get used too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool. and cold. i was shivering a little just looking at it.

    and i'm so sorry you didn't get to see fallingwater.

    my husband and i were lucky enough to attend a formal dinner at taliesin west recently, (he is working with them on some tensile fabric stuff) and it was so incredibly interesting. i loved the place, and the whole lifestyle of the school is amazing. i knew nothing about it before.

    i thought of you while i was there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful. I much prefer looking at pictures of snow, rather than dealing with it right outside my door (like today :s grumble.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun trip & such beautiful pictures!! i love the bed & breakfast you stayed in...i'm jealous:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning, stunning architecture pics. Wish I had been there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful. I love your photos. You both look like you had tons of fun... aside from the freezing weather. love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever seen niagra falls in the winter. so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking at these photos makes me cold! Pennsylvania is an awesome state. I've never been over to Pittsburgh, though. It looks wonderful!

    I have been envisioning the perfect Christmas photo with a million snow covered trees and no houses or buildings in sight and I have yet to find the location. You found it! Did you use it as a Christmas card? It's perfect and I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how fun.

    so beautiful.

    reminds me of our trip to chicago nearly 1 year ago. sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your photos of Lake Erie... so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohhhh wow. i love your pictures angela. that b+b looks so charming. the photos of niagra + lake erie made me gasp, as i'm sure you did from the cold!

    i'm so sorry you had to miss fallingwater. it is also on my list of must-sees! i hope to get there before we leave ny. i'd hitch-hike to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow. what an awesome trip!

    i must say that i love your picture presentation on this blog. you're a true artist girl!

    oh, and p.s.
    we should really try to dinner with the boys sometimes. couple friends are always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my husband served in the harrisburg mission. we went back a few years ago and i fell in love with pennsylvania. even though central pennsylvania is more corn fields i fell in love with all the cathedrals everywhere. you are right- the architecture is amazing. i love your pittsburgh at night photo. you pictures are always so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you ever want to dive head first into those fluffy patches of snow? Makes me want to go on vacation, snow or no snow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so talented at taking amazing pictures of objects and buildings. That is something I have the hardest time doing.

    You trip looked incredible. Makes me want to hop on a plane this second. Sorry you had to cancel part of your trip. It just means you'll have to go back very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - amazing pictures as always! Do you edit your photos using a program like photoshop to change the color to those great muted tones/effects or is that just how they come out when you take them? Also sorry you didnt get to FW - we went last yr and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that bridge is beautiful!!
    Looks like loads of fun. It will be some time before my husband & I do any traveling, sort of hard with a newborn! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i've been so excited to see pictures! they didn't dissapoint.



    (theres a little sneak peek up. i would love to know what you think...)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos! Looks like so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. annie - i use photoshop for all resizing/cropping. on some photos, i also do slight color adjustments.

    but the key is to use natural lighting (sunlight) whenever possible. it makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos! I live about an hour and a half from Erie PA, in Ohio. Lake Erie is beautiful, isn't it? We get a bad rap for being the mistake on the lake... haha but it's been pretty cleaned up in the past 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. these photos are all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the tips - much appreciated. I resolve to take more (and better) pictures in the new year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful photos. What a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful pictures. I bet that cold went right to the bones. Neat that you did get to spend time with people from Clint's mission.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!! I have two "wows" for you:

    --That picture of Pittsburgh at night (that skyline and lights are insanely gorgeous)

    --You braved Niagara Falls in Dec. That takes guts; I'm sure it was absolutely breathtaking. I was there a couple years ago in the summer and it was amazing (I bet it doesn't change too much:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. you're really pretty. and also, i love my seesaw 2010 calendar so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. beautiful pics, angela. and such a beautiful place.

    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. these pictures are absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, I didn't check the date on this post, but your pictures are basically the vacation that I came home from, last week. I grew up on Lake Erie and my family lives a few miles from Pittsburgh ( I still haven't been to FallingWater! Bummer.) and we always went to Niagara Falls whenever the mood hit. But your photos are way better than the Western PA in my memory and the Western PA that I just returned from. Such vibrant color and contrast, are you sure that's Lake Erie?!

    ReplyDelete