Wednesday, September 22, 2010

color sings to me.








In my dreams I am Vera Neumann. Her art, passion and creativity inspires me to no end.

Best known for her colorful vintage scarves signed Vera, she was wildly prolific and produced an incredible amount of timeless designs over the course of her life. I was SO excited for this new book to come out and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. It's bright and happy and tells her story beautifully. I adore her personality, business sense, and the way she lived, breathed and dreamt about art.

I've been collecting Vera scarves for quite awhile now, and can often recognize them before seeing her signature. Every time I find one while thrifting, I do a little happy dance.

Color is the language I speak best...Color sings to me.
-Vera Neumann


(I like to think we're kindred spirits.)


photos by me; book available here

21 comments:

  1. I totally almost bought one of her vintage scarves while in Minnesota at a vintage shop. You would have loved this place! I don't know much about vintage stuff...should I have bought it? It was $10...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i often find her scarves for $1-2, but they sell for anywhere from $15-50+... i would spend $10 if i loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did love it, but i don't really wear scarves. i was being oh so practical ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I see some of these scarves??

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is one of my fav tops at anthro right now. i'm still trying to convince myself that i can pull off a belted tunic.

    and have you seen the rugs??

    i fully love vera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have I not heard of this until now? I definitely have been living under a box apparently! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow her art is stunning. The colors and shapes sing to me! I want that book.

    I completely understand your obsession.

    xo keighley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it and her quote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this book looks right up your ally!

    i've not heard of her, but i can see why you love her!

    oh, and as for visiting portland. do it! come up! it would be so fun to hang out with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, and apparently i love exclamation points.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad we are sisters b/c I'm certain we'd never be kindred spirits. :)

    It was fun seeing you today, ha ha. Come visit us soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bird cage pages of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh that quote of hers--that quote. one of the best i've ever read, perhaps, i lord knows i love me some quotes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ang, you're so cute. I love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Color sings to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She sounds neat and I'm a sucker for floral design. I might have to keep my eye out for her stuff on my next thrifting adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think i need that book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super lovely! Vera is a fave of mine, too. $1-$2? That's really amazing. So far, I've only purchased from Etsy at around $30+. Must search harder.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yep...she's pretty darn great.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/68946628/vintage-vera-neumann-mod-scarf-ladybug?ref=v1_other_1

    ReplyDelete