Monday, October 25, 2010

there's too much, too much, too much love.



I've been to a lot of great concerts in my life. Some favorites include Andrew Bird in NYC, The Flaming Lips and Beck, Wilco, Iron & Wine, The Shins and Belle & Sebastian at the Hollywood Bowl. And of course I'll never forget the small, intimate shows, sitting in a circle and singing along with people like Mirah or Phil Elverum of The Microphones. (Note to self: still really need to see Radiohead.)

There are very few moments when I feel more alive than I do when I'm in a room surrounded by incredible music, and by people who appreciate it the way I do.

Over the weekend I saw Sufjan Stevens perform at Mesa Arts Center^. It was a little bit wild and seriously amazing. And I remembered once again why I love live music.

12 comments:

  1. Radiohead is on my do-before-I-die list. If you ever get the chance Devotchka is amazing in concert.

    I often love concerts where people just sit an listen, it's rare but a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great shows you've seen!

    We're craigslisting like crazy for Sufjan Stevens tickets.
    One down fall to Portland-tickets are nearly impossible to find for good shows. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seeing him in ONE WEEK. he's on my list. can't wait. glad to hear a favorable report!

    ReplyDelete
  4. belle and sebastian wasn't that good.

    and how is it that yo la tengo didn't make the list?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay, I love those feelings. i saw radiohead, the cure, belle and sebastian, flaming lips at coachella 2004. Best weekend of my life (besides honeymoon.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i get to see sufjan in a week! soooo excited! best concert of my life though was definitely bon iver. beyond amazing, that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good concert. I also love Iron & Wine and The Shins. Glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great show! Glad we were able to witness it together... separately...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am seeing this show in a few weeks-can't wait! Radiohead to date is my favorite concert I have been to-a must!
    Just saw Jonsi and it was amazing-love when my entire body pulsates with music. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best feelings are when you are at a concert and you hear either the first voice or the first note radiate through the venue. I am in need for a concert. I'm envious of all the great shows you've been too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love music. my favorite performance this year was watching the utah symphony play the music of led zepplin at an outdoor amphitheater in park city.

    i had a double rainbow experience. i know you'll understand. i loved every second of it. watching an aging, white-haired violinist grandma rock out was an incredible experience. maybe i even cried.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh dear. i loooovvveeeeee sufjan. you have been to so many wonderful shows. i love music too like its my job. i kinda wish it were. you are fantastic. im happy we are friends.

    ReplyDelete