Wednesday, November 23, 2011

streams of mercy, never ceasing.



I taught a lesson in church a couple weeks ago about prayer. As I was preparing it the realization came that I'm quick to ask for help or peace whenever needed, but it's not often that I just pour out my heart in thanksgiving for all my blessings. So I'm making an extra effort this week to think about and express gratitude for the many, many things I have to be thankful for.

(Just to name a few: my incredible family, inspiring and thoughtful friends, the tiny miracle growing inside of me, a creative mind, and a world filled with beauty.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

listen to: Sufjan Stevens - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

---

update: The talented Melissa Esplin is teaching some last-minute calligraphy classes this weekend in Phoenix. Her lettering is beautiful and I've got this print she made me to prove it. Calligraphy has always been something I've wanted to learn, so I'm really excited to be going. If you want to join us at a special Saturday class, just put SATURDAY in the notes to seller. More info and sign-up here.

19 comments:

  1. If you're still up, go to bed! You should wear that green dress more often (and that outfit you had on today). Of all people, you should trust MY fashion advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect reminder. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I feel the exact same way about asking for help and not feeling thankful enough.

    That's a beautiful poster. Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, i made the poster for this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thankful for creative friends, so I can live vicariously through you! (you just whipped up that pretty poster in no time I'm sure!! )

    Happy Thanksgiving pretty momma to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such wonderful things! and i feel the same way of prayer...it's taken me a few years to understand the importance of praying in thanks instead of want or need.

    happy thanksgiving, love! and can i just say that you are amazing to just whip up such a poster!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that version of come thou fount.. we had a friend sing it and play the banjo during the lighting of our unity candle at our wedding. so special to me. happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. couldn't have said it better myself..I think i could use a couple of thanksgivings a year to keep reminding me....and more thanksgiving dinners wouldn't be too bad either! you look beautiful, I already know what I'm getting for baby girl hardison :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so pretty.

    There's a pin floating around Pinterest that says, "What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you thanked God for today?" My prayers got a lot longer after that. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your blog. always so simple and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. April K.11/23/2011

    I love SS's rendition of that song! another one a friend shared with me this week, after a few particularly long days: http://noisetrade.com/sonsanddaughters

    so lovely, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful post, and my favorite hymn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your posts are always so beautiful. I feel grateful to have you as a friend. :)

    And yes, I love that poster as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this thought and that poster of yours. Hear hear for being filled with more gratitude. And happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful family and blog! :) I became a follower. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a beautiful print! i hope you had a lovely thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post!!! This is one of my Fave Sufjan Stevens' songs!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love that rendition of the song. we put it on a holiday album one year. also i always LOVE to visit here. you have a beautiful sense of style and design.

    ReplyDelete