Tuesday, December 13, 2011

with grace in your heart & flowers in your hair.



Lately we've been talking about how happy we are in our current downtown neighborhood. Even though we get to deal with some interesting predicaments of owning a really old house, even though there's a nearby train and a rooster that wake me up crazy early in the morning, even though it's borderline sketchy in some parts... we love the culture, the diversity, and the history. It just feels like the right place for us.

For me, the greatest part has probably been some new friendships. We love our neighbors and friends in this area. A perfect example is my friend Beth who is a sweet, generous, beautiful soul. She's the kind of person who drops by with thoughtful gifts, sends handwritten notes in the mail, or brings over amazing artisan bread made by her husband. She's also a really talented artist. When I went over to her house for lunch a few weeks ago, I walked in to see some new oil paintings covering her kitchen table and fell in love with the above painting (my favorite flowers). I was so excited when she agreed to sell it to me. Nothing beats having original art in the house, and it's even more meaningful because of who created it.

Visit her shop, Le Petit Cheval, for some great illustrations and prints (including a print of that very painting here - and another of my favorites I Like You, Like You).

17 comments:

  1. gorgeous photo! i love beth and her amazing talent.

    and yes, that neighborhood was noisy! i loved it too despite the bits of sketchy. it's a charming section in comparison to the sea of chain stores and cookie cutter houses.

    i wish you guys moved in a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing the trains at night. Luckily there are no roosters by my place, only the occasional homeless dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this and love the photo! also, I caught the mumford and sons reference at the top. :) huge fan here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think it sounds perfect...sketchy neighborhoods are way more interesting than boring old safe, quiet ones - just ask us! what awesome paintings too, i like her temple ones a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that! I'm glad you're enjoying your new place. Miss you though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a beautiful painting!
    old houses and places with spunk are the best to live in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the looseness of that painting, and having good friends and neighbors nearby is definitely a must! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great painting. Just your style, too.

    I'm glad you're liking your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel lucky to have a sweet and talented new friend! I am so glad you moved to the neighborhood. it is the best in mesa- i may be biased . :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of all talents, I think being able to paint amazes me the most. Perhaps that's just a reflection of my complete inability to paint. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I really love that photo. (And the I like you, like you print) Good neighbors mean a lot, our current neighbors are 20 BYU-Idaho girls. Yeesh.

    P.S. Can I request more house and baby bump photos?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I interviewed Beth for the Mormon Women Project, and I absolutely agree with your description of her. She is gracious and pure in heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. there is always a huge dose of pretty when i come to your blog. thanks girl.

    and i, like kate, would like to request more bump photos. i bet you are stunning and totally working that bump.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're so lucky to have such a wonderful neighbor and friend. I love the painting too - great score!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, lovely photo / painting.

    & i'm loving the mumford&suns song lyric title :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. SO GREAT!I LOVE YOUT BLOG, POST A COMMENT ON MY BLOG :*


    www.celyneglam.blogspot.com

    ps.i'm following u..now i'm in your followers

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful painting. I noticed the styling though.

    ReplyDelete