Tuesday, October 2, 2012

peanut butter pumpkin granola.






October has arrived! Making this granola was the perfect little celebration yesterday. Like many others, when fall begins to roll around I start searching for recipes with pumpkin. I was really wanting some pumpkin cookies, but since I've been eating almost completely gluten-free for the past couple of months, this was a smarter option. It's healthy (hello quinoa and flaxseeds) but managed to satisfy my craving... for now anyway.

The original recipe was found here but I changed up the ingredients a bit and also added peanut butter. And then per her suggestion, paired it with apples and almond milk (plus another touch of honey) for a delicious breakfast.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Granola
adapted from Skinny Taste's Pumpkin Granola

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed & dried
3 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used gluten-free oats)
1/2 cup ground flaxseeds
1/2 cup pepitas
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp coconut oil
2 tsp pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325° F. Spread oats and quinoa out on a baking pan. Toast in the oven 10-15 minutes, stirring once. Remove the toasted oats from the oven, pour into a bowl and add the ground flaxseeds, pepitas, and pecans.

Reduce oven to 300° F. In a second bowl, combine honey, pumpkin puree, peanut butter, oil, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Pour over oats and stir together. Spread back onto a baking sheet and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until golden. Makes about 6 cups.

32 comments:

  1. Yum! This a must try for me this fall. Sounds sooo gooood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds delicious!! and i love that it's wheat-free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! Thanks for sharing this treat : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are the best photos of granola i've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this, Angela! I have all the ingredients already and I am going to make it right NOW! : )

    xo,

    Sar

    ReplyDelete
  6. What font is used on the photos? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy. I've wanted to try my hand at granola for a while and this one is even gluten-free!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how I just got back from a trip and my house is a disaster, I need to unpack and do laundry. There is so much to catch up on and all I want to do is make granola. Way to go Angela, way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. K the granola looks amazing (will give it a try next week) but can we talk about how awesome your pictures are? I'm super impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. delicious...both the granola and your pictures!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know you could eat quinoa without cooking it. Neato. Did you grind your own flax seed? How? I just saw a recipe for pumpkin granola a few days ago and was wishing I had time to make some. I guess I should have just gone to your house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a wonderful looking treat for low-carb eaters. Can't wait to try it with the almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, say no more. I'm sold. Sounds so yummy! Well, if you ever need a gluten break, I just so happend to post about pumpkin cookies on my blog today ;)

    - Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, delicious. can't wait to make it.
    (thanks for posting. i was one who requested it via instagram.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love with pumpkin. and your recipe, and your pretty bowls. I will have to try this.

    Excited to see you tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks aaaammaaazzzing

    Val
    http://valentinaduracinsky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so delicious! Love the layout of your blog, so simple and clean. Have a great weekend!

    http://kristinpeakeinteriors.blogspot.com/

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so delicious! Have to try it for sure

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love mixin up different granola recipes-so thanks for this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so interesting with the quinoa. seems like the perfect fall breakfast. can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blogs is really very nice, its really very colourful,keep updating.

    ReplyDelete
  23. totally going to try using quinoa in my granola next time..never even thought of that before! this stuff looks fantastic! love your pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really should start making my own granola. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goodness, this look delicious.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous granola! Love your idea for adding pb along with pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, YUM. I'm making this.

    Also: next time I'm stressed out, I'm going to take a look at that ingredients photo---calming.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks yummy and I wanna have a try!

    ReplyDelete
  29. it's so nice when i follow a blog that teachs and inpires me so much!
    It's always a pleasure to visit your blog.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous11/26/2012

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete